Wild Rice Pancakes with Wild Mushrooms & Goat Cheese

This is recipe of Mollie Katzen's that I adapted.  I thought they were delicious and quite easy to make especially if you have the wild rice already cooked which I did.  I made them for supper one night with a big salad and they were all consumed.  Mollie said they are very good leftover and that they reheat well.  I can't testify to that. 

1 tablespoon olive oil
12 wild mushrooms, I used 1/4 # of oyster mushrooms from the farmers market.  I'm sure white mushroom would also be fine.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
4 large eggs
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
4 scallions, minced
1 cup cooked wild rice.  I cooked my wild rice in my rice cooker.  I made extra and froze the rest.
1 cup (about 5 ounces) goat cheese.  I used Dream Farm goat cheese (also available at the Westside farmers market in Madison) and just stirred it into the batter.  Any flavor would work well.  I think I had one of the herb flavors.
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Nonstick spray for the pan
A little unsalted butter for the pan (optional)

Optional Toppings
Sour cream or yogurt
Minced chives

1.Place a medium-sized skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the mushrooms, and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and sauté 5 minutes longer. Stir in the garlic and lemon juice and remove the pan from the heat without cooking the mixture any further.

2.Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk in the flour and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. When this mixture is uniform, stir in the cooked mushrooms, including all their juices. Add the scallions, wild rice, goat cheese, and black pepper, and stir until well combined.

3.Spray frying pan lightly with nonstick spray, and if you like, melt in a little butter. When the cooking surface is hot, use a 1/4-cup measure to scoop batter onto the hot pan, and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden.

4.Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with the topping(s) of your choice.
 
Adapted from Mollie Katzen.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing