Chicken with Red Cabbage

Arthur is not a big fan of cabbage, but we have been getting quite a bit of cabbage in our boxes the last few weeks.  He told me I should post this recipe because "This is cabbage I like."  I liked it because it is very easy which is nice if you're making dinner after working all day.

1 cup thinly sliced onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 cups red cabbage, thinly sliced--I used 1/2 head of my good sized red cabbage.  I sliced mine using a food processor.  I watched a cooking class on using your CSA vegetables a couple of weeks ago at Willy Street Co-op West.  She used a Mandoline.  This article reviews and rates them http://www.consumersearch.com/mandolines.  The one she used didn't appear to have a safety guard and I thought with my luck I'd slice my fingers instead of the veggies.
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 pound (4 pieces) boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup white wine
black pepper
Chopped parsley

Put the sliced onions, oil and garlic in a saute pan.  Cook until the onions are tender and golden.  Add the sliced cabbage, stir to coat well.  Sprinkle with the salt and simmer cabbage for 40 minutes.  Turn from time to time.  Cabbage will be considerably reduced in volume.

Either spray another skillet with olive oil pan spray or use another tablespoon of olive oil.  Heat the pan and add the chicken.  Brown well on both sides.  Transfer the chicken to the pan with the cabbage.  Add wine and some pepper.  Cover the pan and continue cooking for 40 minutes.  The chicken will be very tender and the cabbage will be cooked down and will also be very tender and tasty.    You can sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve (optional).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing