Oven-Baked Chili

This is a chili made with chunks of beef rather than the traditional ground beef.  I made it primarily to use up the last of the green peppers from my CSA farm.  I'm not really a green pepper fan, but I felt compelled to use them rather than have them fade away in the frig.

2 pounds cubed stew beef
Flour
1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) chopped onion
1 cup (5 ounces) diced fresh green bell pepper (I used 2 large green peppers because that's what I had and wanted to use up)
2 or more cloves garlic, peeled and minced, depends on how big the cloves are.
2 cups (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned (I used canned)
6-ounce can tomato paste
2 tablespoons dried cilantro (optional, but good)  I did use it but I don't think it made much difference
2 teaspoons chili powder (you can add more later)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt, to taste
up to 2 tablespoons sugar, to taste, optional; cuts the acidity of the tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper,
I used 1 dry jalapeno pepper and left it whole
1 tablespoon cornmeal
2 cans (15 ounces) dark red kidney beans, well-drained

Shake the meat in a bag with some flour which helps to brown it. In a large skillet, brown the meat in oil, in batches if necessary. Add the chopped onion and peppers, and cook until the onion and peppers are soft. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, hot pepper, spices, and cornmeal, stirring to combine and allowing to simmer for about 1 minute, just till everything is hot.


Spoon the chili into an ovenproof 2- to 2 1/2-quart crock or casserole dish; add sufficient water to cover the meat. I used about 1 tomato can of water (about 2 cups). Cover the dish, with a lid or foil, and bake the chili in a preheated 275°F oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender. Mine took 3 hours. Stir the chili after 1 hour. 

Half an hour before serving, stir in the beans, and cook until heated through with the lid off. Garnish the chili with fresh cilantro, finely chopped raw onions (optional) and sour cream.

I served the chili with cornbread.  It made a great meal for a chilly fall night.

Adapted from King Arthur Flour.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing