Stuffed Delicata Squash with Sausage

I've posted recipes for stuffed delicata squash previously but I just made this one this week and we thought it was delicious.  Leftovers heat up well for lunch too.  I love this squash!  It is so sweet and tender.  It doesn't keep as well as some of the harder shelled squash so be sure to use it sooner than later.

4 delicata squash, halved and seeded
l large onion finely diced (about 1 cup)
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2-4 stalks of celery, finely diced
2 large carrots, finely diced
1# of bulk Italian sausage
1 cup soft whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place halved and seeded squash cut side down in a large roasting pan.  Cover with foil and roast until tender.  It can take from 40-60 minutes.  While the squash is baking, brown the sausage.  Make sure it is broken up into small pieces.  I use my potato masher as it cooks to break up the sausage.  Remove the meat to a bowl.  Drain off excess fat if your sausage isn't lean.  Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots to the pan and sauté until tender.  Combine with the sausage.  Add the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley to the mixture.  Add salt & pepper as needed.  After the squash is cooked, you can either stuff the squash with the filling or scoop out the squash and combine it with the filling before stuffing the squash shells.  I was getting hungry so I just stuffed the squash halves as is.  Return to the oven and roast for about 15 minutes so the stuffing browns a bit.

This recipe can easily be cut in half if you don't have 4 squash.  The other option would be to make all the filling and freeze what you didn't use until you get more squash.

Adapted from Generation Y Foodie

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm so excited to find new blogs, especially in the Fall. My cousin told me about yours and also one called "Cooking With Mr. C." which is on Facebook and is also a blog. I just "Liked" his page and came directly to your site. I'm so excited. My kids love when I find new blogs. Thank you. Corinne

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing