Delicious Breakfast Sandwiches

This recipe was adapted from a recipe from Cook's Country.  I served them when my family visited from Chicago.  They are very adaptable.  You can use different types of sandwich buns; cook the eggs however the eater prefers; and use whatever variety of cheese you like and have available.  The arugula and sliced tomatoes are also optional.

4 English muffins, split (I used Brownberry sandwich thins)
3 tablespoons softened butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 large eggs
Salt and pepper
4 slices of thin deli ham
4 ounces shredded or sliced Gruyere cheese
1 1/2 cups arugula
4 thin tomato slices

Butter the English muffins or sandwich buns (split) and broil until lightly brown.  Mix mayonnaise and mustard.  Cook eggs however you like.  I made poached eggs for one, scrambled eggs for another and sunny side up eggs for the third.  Essentially I doubled the recipe because each person ate 2 sandwiches. 

Take a muffin half and spread with mayonnaise/mustard dressing.  Top with a slice of ham, the eggs, and shredded or grated cheese.  Warm in the oven for a minute or two to melt the cheese.  Remove, top with arugula, tomato slice and the other half of the muffin. 

I was able to buy the ham, eggs, cheese, arugula and tomatoes all at our winter's farmers market.  I had the mayo and mustard in my frig, so I just needed to get some sandwich buns at the store.  The sandwiches were very popular with my family as well as being quick and easy to make.

Adapted from Cook's Country.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing