Broccoli Pesto Soup

In my last box from my CSA farm, I got a lovely head of broccoli.  I happened to find this interesting recipe on the internet.  The herb garden on my deck is doing very well and I was able to get enough basil to make the soup.  I served the soup warm.  I think it would also be tasty at room temperature or chilled.

2 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 medium yellow onion (about 1/2 cup) roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups fresh broccoli roughly chopped
3-4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
4 small cloves of garlic, peeled 
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
juice of 1 small lemon
Freshly ground pepper
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)

Warm the oil and saute the onions, walnuts, and salt until the onions are tender.  Add the broccoli and the broth.  Bring the broth to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer until the broccoli is crisp-tender or about 10 minutes.  Let cool slightly and then blend along with the basil and garlic until smooth.  Add the lemon juice to taste and check to see if additional salt is needed.  Add the pepper and Parmesan if desired.  You could also garnish with some basil leaves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing