Friday, September 26

Another somewhat late start on supper. Last night I had a Taste of Chocolate Class at our local community college. We made a few chocolate recipes as well as tasted some chocolate. I actually almost OD on chocolate. When I got home I made Broccoli Goat Cheese Soup because I had a large stalk of broccoli from our farm that I needed to use. The soup was excellent and so easy.

Broccoli Goat Cheese Soup
(based on a recipe from Weight Watcher Turn Around Cookbook)

1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion chopped
3 tablespoons flour
4 cups organic chicken broth (I like the Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth in a box)
4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into chunks
1/4 cup fresh goat cheese ( I used some from a local farmer that is very soft, similar to cream cheese in texture)
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

Saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Slowly add chicken broth making sure it combines smoothly with the flour. Add broccoli and simmer covered until tender. I used an immersion blender (great invention) to puree the soup. You can make it as smooth or chunky as you want. Add the goat cheese and whisk in. Add the hot sauce if desired.

I also make Orange Ricotta Pancakes which I served with little sausages.

Orange Ricotta Pancakes

1 3/4 cups or 1# container of part skim ricotta cheese
1/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2/3 cup flour

Whisk together ricotta, sugar, eggs, and orange zest. Whisk in flour just until combined.
I made the pancakes on my griddle set at 375 degrees. You could also use a frying pan. Grease with either butter, oil or pan spray. Use 1/4 cup for each pancake. Wait until the pancakes look set on top before attempting to turn. Cook until brown. Serve hot with either powdered sugar, jam or Penzey's vanilla sugar. Delicious.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing