Thursday, September 25

I got home later last night because I went to a jewelry party with my daughter, Victoria. They had a lot of snacks at the party, but I decided I better make some food for Arthur since I didn't cook either Monday or Tuesday nights. I went out to dinner for SLA (Special Libraries Association) functions both evenings. Plus I need to get busy using our veggies.

We also belong to a fruit CSA called Future Fruit. We get delicious organic apples, pears and plums from this farm. I had some ripe pears so I decided to make a salad with celeriac, pears and hazelnuts from a recipe in our HVF newsletter. It was good (not fabulous).

Celeriac Pear Salad

Creamy Dijon Dressing
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon table salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons sour cream or more if needed

In medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, honey, and salt. Whisk inoil in slow, steady stream. Add sour cream; whisk to combine. Set aside.

Salad
1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
1 medium celeriac
2 small pears firm ripe pears, grated
1/2 small onion, sliced thin
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley leaves
2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon leaves (if available, dry is OK too but use less)
Table salt and ground black pepper

Shred celery root using your food processor. You should have about 3 cups. Add immediately to prepared dressing; toss to coat. Add grated pear. Stir in onions, parsley (and tarragon, if using), and hazelnuts. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.

I also made a tuna salad with dried cranberries on a bed of salad greens based on a recipe from Weight Watchers. This was very good.

Cranberry Tuna Salad

Ingredients
1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1/4 tsp lemon zest (optional, I didn't have a fresh lemon)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (or bottled if necessary)
12 oz water-packed tuna fish, drained
8 leaves basil
Bed of salad greens

Combine ingredients through tuna. Spoon onto bed of greens. Sliver basil and put on top of salad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing