Rhubarb Muffins

I needed to bring a contribution to work for another "food" day. I had rhubarb from my Harmony Valley CSA box so I decided to try these muffins. They are not especially healthy, but they are very tasty.

Rhubarb Muffin Delights

1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (or plain yogurt)
2 cups rhubarb, diced small
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

For topping:
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine the brown sugar, egg, oil, vanilla and buttermilk. Stir in rhubarb and nuts. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir dry ingredients into liquid mixture until just blended. Do not overbeat. Pour batter into greased or lined muffin cups. Mix topping ingredients together and spoon over filled cups, press lightly. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan. 12-18 muffins depending on size of muffin cups and how full you fill them.

Comments

City Girl said…
Yummy! I'm a HVF member too - and new to the whole CSA thing. I'll have to give this recipe a try since I have loads more rhubarb in my garden than I know what do do with! I tried something new this year with the rhubarb in my box: Roasted Rhubarb. Very cool! I blogged about it: http://greenadventuresofacitygirl.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing