Agretti Pizza with Goat Cheese


I got a bunch of agretii in our spring share CSA box. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. Its appearance is quite different than most other greens. "Rather rare, Italian Agretti is an inherently salty green heirloom herb that delivers a succulent texture and a pleasantly acidic tart taste when it is harvested fresh and young. Measuring anywhere from eight to twelve inches in length and appropriately named, agretti means "little sour one". This entire plant is harvested in bunches when young and enjoyed fresh or cooked."
I found a recipe for pizza with agretti that I decided to try.
This is a light pizza with no sauce and only goat cheese. You should use fresh dough for the crust and good olive oil. Bake a quick pizza crust from scratch or purchase the dough (which is what I did) and brush it lightly with olive oil when it comes out of the oven. I put my dough in a large oiled deep dish pizza pan (12") and baked it for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
Sprinkle the crust generously with chopped fresh herbs. I used fresh rosemary. Saute minced garlic or green garlic and 1-2 bunches of agretti in a little olive oil. When its done cooking (which is when its wilted and somewhat tender) squeeze a few drops of lemon juice onto it and stir it in. Spread agretti evenly over crust, then put lots of small rounds or dollops of soft goat cheese all over the pizza. I also added some slices of fully-cooked chicken spinach feta sausages (2 links). Bake at 350 until goat cheese has softened a bit and the pizza is smelling delicious. This took 10-12 minutes.
We voted this a great success with a green that we had never tried before!
Adapted from a recipe for Mariquita Farms.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing