Fresh Tomato Soup with Croutons

This is my favorite tomato soup recipe made with all fresh tomatoes in the height of the tomato season in summer. It is easy and tastes delicious! It has been adapted from the blog, Feasting at Home by Sylvia Fountaine which I highly recommend.

INGREDIENTS


  • 4 tablespoons butter or olive oil (I usually use butter) 
  • 1 extra-large onion, diced (the author did not give a measurement for
        the onion), I found with research it was 2-3 cups
  • 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced (or one red bell pepper) or use both; I have not tried the pepper, but I think it would be good
  • 2 lbs. fresh tomatoes 
  • 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 tablespoons honey or sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1015 basil leaves
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (optional, but good)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
  • 12 tablespoon sour cream -– optional!

Optional toppings:


  • Add a few basil ribbons


  • Sourdough croutons
  • parmesan cheese
INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat butter in a soup pot and add the onions, sauté until softened. Next add the carrots. Lower the heat and cook until the onions are golden. Add the tomatoes, broth, honey, salt and pepper. Stir, bring to a simmer, cover and lower heat to low so its simmering gently for about 10-15 minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and carrots are tender. Remove from heat.
Sylvia suggests using an immersion blender, but I prefer to use my blender. I don't like tomato skins in my soup and by using my blender I know I won't have any. This is when you add the basil. You can also hold out some to top the soup with as well.
Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the cream. 
Taste and adjust the salt and sugar. I have never needed any more than the honey. This is the time to add the Aleppo pepper if you are using it and the sour cream. This can also be added at the table.

CROUTONS

4 cups of cubed sourdough bread (or use any bread or rolls you happen to have)
1/4 cup olive oil
pinch of salt and pepper
Granulated garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder (all optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Toss the bread cubes with the oil and seasonings
Spread in a layer on a sheet pan. Bake 10-12 minutes. Stir and bake until golden and crispy.

You can make a smaller batch or of course, buy them ready made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing