Monday, November 10

I got some flowering kale in my CSA box from HVF last week. It was so beautiful I sort of hated to chop it up and eat it. I've seen it growing in people's gardens but I didn't realize that it was actually edible.

I used another recipe from the Passionate Vegetarian which utilized both the kale and some of my sweet potatoes.

Parky's Southern Braised Kale with Sweet Potatoes
(a slightly adapted version)
You could serve it over brown rice or with some corn bread.

3 large sweet potatoes (or about 1-1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3-4 red & orange mini peppers or 1 full size red pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, (seeds in if you want it hot--I removed mine--this wasn't a spicy night), minced
1 bunch flowering kale or whatever kind you have (remove stems because they're often tough)
1/2-1 cup broth (vegetable or chicken)
1 orange
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tomato chopped (I would probably leave this out the next time)
Salt & pepper to taste

Cook the sweet potatoes however you like. I microwaved mine. Cool and peel.
Heat the oil in a deep skillet and saute the onion, peppers and jalapeno until tender but not brown. Add the kale and broth and cook for about 5 minutes. Top with the sliced sweet potatoes. Cover the skillet and braise until the kale is as tender as you wish. Mine only took about 5-10 minutes.
Grate the orange rind and squeeze the juice. Uncover the kale dish and add 1-2 teaspoon grated orange rind, 3 tablespoons orange juice, and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar. Top with tomatoes (if you wish) and salt and pepper.

This recipe turned out very well and I would recommend trying it. I think part of the reason it was so good is that the kale I had was young and tender. If your kale is tougher you would probably need to cook it longer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing