Sunday, November 16


I had a large head of escarole that I need to use. Its lovely to look at but a bit on the bitter side served raw. My friend, Lora, gave a recipe that incorporated escarole and that she thought was excellent. She got the recipe from Blue Moon Community Farm, her CSA farm from last year.
Escarole Celeriac Dressing
1 celeriac, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 medium leeks, washed well and sliced
2 or more portabello mushrooms, chopped
3 T. olive oil
Saute above ingredients until tender.
1 head escarole, blanched, drained and chopped
1/2 t. salt
Pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
4-5 cups bread cubes
Mix all and bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
I baked the dressing in a 9 x 13" pan and put chicken breasts on top of the dressing to bake at the same time. Rub a little olive oil or butter on them and season.
Next time I would add about 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or sage and thyme to the dressing. It turned out very well. Arthur said it was delicious. And voila the escarole is all gone!

Comments

bookworks said…
I made this dish again. This time I didn't bother to blanch the escarole but just rough chopped it and added it to the other ingredients. I covered the pan with aluminum foil for the first half of the baking and then uncovered it to brown a bit and finish cooking. I also added 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning. It turned out again to be an excellent way to use escarole.

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing