Saturday, November 1


This morning I made a trip to the Westside Farmers' Market in Madison to buy meat for the stew I wanted to make with my sweet potatoes from my CSA box. Of course, I had to buy other food as well. Its hard not to buy lots of lovely vegetables, but I know I'll be getting all sorts of good things in my box from HVF. This is a picture of our produce this week. Leeks, potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, broccoli, baby beets, sweet potatoes, Delicata squash, Kabocha squach and flowering kale (its in the upper right of the picture and is beautiful).
Cuban-Style Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
1# or a little more sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pound lean pork loin, cut into 1-inch pieces
14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with green chiles
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup orange juice
2 medium scallions, chopped
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
Place potato, pork, tomatoes, garlic, orange juice, scallions, salt, cumin and pepper in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on low setting for 7 hours.
Stir in cilantro; cover slow cooker and cook for 5 minutes more.
Can't get much easier than this stew. Its a great fall dish.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing