First CSA box of the season!

Saturday, May 9 we got our first CSA delivery of the season. I love most of the veggies and a couple I could live without. We got spinach, overwintered parsnips (very sweet), rhubarb, sunchokes, ramps (I LOVE RAMPS), sorrel, chives, winter black radishes and burdock. The last two items I wouldn't miss.

I usually plan what I'm going to do with my bounty right away but Saturday was a meeting of our gourmet group for dinner at our place. It was a wonderful meal, so I guess I'll digress and talk about our Taste of New England dinner.
Appetizer: Lemon Crumb-Broiled Sea Scallops (Lora)
Soup: New England Clam Chowder (Lora)
Salad: Cucumber Salad with Shaker Buttermilk Herb Dressing (Victoria)
Breads: Classic Parker House Rolls (Lora)
Steamed Brown Bread with Raisins (Edith)
Durgin Park Cornbread (Jim)
Main Dishes: Vermont Chicken & Leek Pie with Biscuit Crust (Edith)
Yankee Cafe Fresh Fish Cakes and Down East Crab Cakes (Victoria)
Shaker Roast Pork Loin with Cider-Sage Gravy (Mollie)
Side Dishes: Durgin Park Style Boston Baked Beans (Edith)
Shaker Whipped Winter Squash with Cape Cod Cranberries (Victoria)
Church Supper Broccoli and Cheese Bake (Mollie)
Fluffy Mashed Potatoes (Mollie)
Dessert: Best Boston Cream Pie (Lora)
Cranberry Apple Walnut Pie & Ice Cream (Edith)
Jim brought wonderful wines to accompany our fabulous repast.
My daughter, Tracy, from Chicago joined us for this dinner.

I made a spinach salad on Monday evening with homemade French dressing. I put in mushrooms, an avocado, tomatoes, green onions and hard cooked eggs. Very tasty. You can use almost any vegetables you like. The dressing was 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup canola oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, salt & pepper.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing