Cheese & Sunchoke Chowder

I know I posted a similar recipe last summer. Now I'm not sure which one I prefer so I'm going to post this one too. Arthur thought this soup was delicious.

1 Tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 pound sunchokes, peeled and sliced
8 ounces carrots, sliced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups chicken stock
1-1/4 cups milk
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded (note I'm sure Gruyere cheese would be delicious in this soup but I didn't have any. I used a combination of Cedar Grove reduced fat cheddar cheese and a white cheese; I'm not sure what it was--I think what I'm saying is use what you have)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 green onions, chopped

In a large saucepan, melt butter and oil, add onion and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sunchokes and carrots. Cook 2 minutes. Add flour, then gradually add stock. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Blend soup with an immersion blender or food processor fitted with the metal blade until smooth. Add milk (skim is fine), cheese, dry mustard, salt, and pepper and blend again. Reheat gently if needed but be sure not to boil. Garnish with a couple of chopped green onions if available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing