Radish Riata

This was a recipe that came in our JenEhr Family Farm newsletter.  I made cauliflower potato curry on Saturday for dinner.  It was very good, but I didn't post the recipe because it was on a scrap of paper that I seem to have misplaced.  Anyway I served the curry with this riata.  Its a sweet and cool and a nice contrast to a spicy curry dish, plus another good way to use radishes. 

1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and seeded
1 cup diced radishes (small dice)
3/4 cup plain low fat yogurt
2 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped *
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's)

Grate cucumber into a medium bowl.  Add radishes and remaining ingredients, stir gently to combine.  Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight (if you have time--if not just eat it). 

* I didn't have golden raisins and used regular raisins.  I think any dried fruit would work fine. 

I like kitchen gadgets a lot, especially when they work well.  My husband bought this and I thought "oh yeah, right, like that's going to work."  Actually it does.  It does a great job chopping onions, potatoes, radishes, etc. and keeps the pieces all the same size.  It has two sizes-1/2" and 1/4" dice.  The catch container doubles as a measuring cup so you'll know when you have your cup of radishes. Its called the Vidalia Chop Wizard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing