Pancakes with a Protein Boost

I've been trying to go through my home office and weed out books I no longer want.  I've also been going through old magazines.  I have a terrible time throwing out magazines without looking through them one more time.  Sometimes my reviews pay off.  I found this recipe in an old copy of Healthy Cooking.  It suggested taking a pancake mix and making some healthy additions.  I thought it produced a lighter, more tender pancake than most whole grain mixes without these additions.

I use Lonesome Stone Pancake Mix which is a blend of whole wheat and rye flours.  I highly recommend trying their products.  They use locally grown grains in their mixes.  Their products are available at a number of stores in Madison.  Check out their website:  http://www.lonesomestonemilling.com/index.html.

2 eggs  (these coudn't be any more local; they are from my daughter and her husband's back yard chickens)
2 tablespoons plain yogurt (I recommend Sugar River Dairy yogurt, another great local product)
2 tablespoons sunflower oil (Driftless Organics oil is excellent)
1 cup milk or almond milk
1 cup multigrain pancake mix
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
Blueberries or other fruit can be added
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat or whisk eggs and add yogurt and oil.  Whisk again and add milk. Combine the dry ingredients and fold them into the liquid ingredients.  Do not overmix or your pancakes will be tough.  If the batter seems to be thicker than you like, add a little more milk.  Add the fruit and nuts if using. 

Spray or oil a well-heated griddle.  Use a 1/4 cup measure and drop the batter onto the hot griddle.  When bubbles appear, flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown.

Serve the pancakes with pure maple syrup or locally made preserves. There are several vendors offering both at the Madison farmers market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing