Pea Salad with Cream Dressing

This is a recipe using fresh peas which are very difficult to find at least where we live.  This spring I saw them listed for sale already shelled by one of the vendors at the farmers market for just a couple of weeks for a very reasonable price. Later a friend told me that the farmer had a machine to shell them. No wonder! I love fresh peas. Frozen peas are fine, but fresh peas are so much better. 

I found this recipe in a cookbook called, Victuals, an Appalachian Journey with Recipes by Ronni Lundy. When I was lucky enough to acquire some fresh peas I decided to try this recipe and I'm pleased that I did. I guess you could try it with frozen peas but it won't be the same.

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. honey
Salt
2 cups fresh peas
1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
Black pepper

Before you are ready to serve the salad, make the dressing by combining the heavy cream with the vinegar, honey and a few pinches of salt. Shake or vigorously stir the ingredients for one minute. Then allow the dressing to sit at room temperature for about an hour. The dressing will thicken somewhat, but still be pour-able.

Boil the peas for 1-2 minutes in 2 cups of boiling water until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to chill. Drain thoroughly.

Combine the peas, radishes, and green onions. Then add the dressing. Taste for seasoning, adding the pepper and additional salt if needed. Chill for 1/2 hour before serving if you have time. If you don't (like we didn't, the salad is yummy as is).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing