Tuesday dinner, October 21

Tonight book club was at our place. Since things are never too tidy I didn't have time to make dessert. I took care of the beverages and had apple cider and hazelnut decaf coffee. Lora made a delicious pumpkin cheesecake with a pecan crust. Very welcome indeed!

After they all left a I made a batch of basil pesto with basil that I brought home from Tracy's in Chicago. I didn't use Parmesan in this batch. My basil is coming to the end. It hasn't been bitten by frost yet, but the leaves are looking sad.

We had some green tomatoes from the farm that I needed to use so for supper I made Fried Green Tomato "BLT"s. I had a recipe from the farm but it seemed a bit complicated and made a huge amount. I used a recipe I found on the Kitchen Guy's website.

This was for 2 large sandwiches:
3 or 4 green tomatoes sliced thick (you don't need this many for the sandwiches but you might as well make what you've got)
fresh basil leaves
4 slices of bacon
Sliced mozzarella cheese
1 cup cornmeal
1-2 eggs or Egg Beaters
1/2 cup flour
Canola oil for frying the tomatoes
Rolls or whole grain bread that is substantial and won't fall apart
Mayonnaise with hot sauce added or thick buttermilk ranch dressing with hot sauce added
Lettuce, Romaine or Leaf

Fry the bacon slices.
Dredge the tomatoes in flour, then the beaten egg and finally the cornmeal. Heat the oil and fry tomatoes until crispy and golden. They should be crisp on the outside and tender inside.

Spread the rolls or bread with the mayonnaise or spicy dressing. Next the bacon, then a layer of basil and lettuce, then cheese, next slices of fried green tomatoes and another layer of basil leaves. Top with the another slice of bread spread with more dressing.

Enjoy. These sandwiches sound a little odd but they're very good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing