Wednesday dinner, October 22

Decided tonight I needed to review the veggie situation in the frig and find out what needed to be used first. I found some broccoli which was more than I planned for. I found a recipe for a vegetable stew with onions, carrots, squash and broccoli with coconut milk.


Coconut-Squash Vegetable Stew
(recipe adapted from Vegetable Love cookbook)


3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cups of onions, diced (I used red ones just because I happened to have a lot)
2 good sized carrots, sliced (1/2-1 cup) (I used more because the carrots from the farm are rather small)
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut in chunks (probably any winter squash would work)-Original recipe called for 6 cups. I didn't have that much
4 small white turnips (the original recipe didn't call for them, but they needed to be used)
5 cups chopped broccoli
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup broth (whatever you have available)
1/2 tablespoon ground cardamom
1 tablespoon celery seeds
Salt & Pepper to taste

Melt the butter and saute the onions. Add the carrots, broccoli, squash & turnips. Cook for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the broth and coconut milk. Add the spices. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the lid and increase the heat to thicken the sauce. Add salt & pepper.

Can be served over rice. I didn't make any rice, but it was OK without it. Unusual seasongs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing