Wednesday night dinner

I mentioned I was going to a CHEW meeting before I went home last night. I did some shopping at Willy Street Co-op http://www.willystreet.coop/ Its a great resource. I purchased a couple of deli items for my lunch, Curry Cashew Chicken Salad and Caribbean Sweet Potato Black Bean Salad. I'd really like to get the recipe for the sweet potato salad. The presenters at the meeting were Joe and Ruby Cabibbo who run Cabibbo's Bakery. Their main products are biscotti and other Sicilian breads. www.cabibbosbakery.com They had lots of good samples at the meeting.

When I got home I roasted the last of the corn on the cob that we got at the farmers' market. I roasted it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. You just put it on the oven rack without husking. Its very tasty and super easy to do.

I finally made the Turkey Salad with Cranberries and Pecans
(adapted from a recipe from an American Institute for Cancer Research newsletter)

2 cups (8oz.) diced cooked turkey breast
1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 can (11 oz.) mandarin orange sections, drained
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
2 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise dressing
1 Tbsp. mustard (not yellow hot dog type)
I had some cranberry mustard that was perfect for the salad but a Dijon or honey mustard would work well too
1/2 tsp. salt
Ground black pepper
Salad Greens or torn lettuce leaves

Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl. Add all the other ingredients except the greens. Place greens or lettuce on a platter and top with the salad. Its a delicious salad and a good way to use some of your lettuce as a main dish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing