Shredded Root Vegetable Pancakes

I'm always on the lookout on how to use my CSA vegetables.  I saw this recipe on EatingWell.  I would make the pancakes again but I would pay more attention to the directions.  The recipe said to bake the pancakes in the oven for 15 minutes.  I didn't do that and the pancakes were a bit on the crunchy side.  However, they would be worth making again because the flavor is good.  I even used a black radish that was lurking in my vegetable draw.  We got a couple of the radishes in an early CSA box.  I was hoping they would just disappear.  These pancakes were a great place to use one of them.  You would never know it was in the pancakes. 

1-2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons chopped scallions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried (I didn't have any fresh dill but would recommend using it if you have it available--the dry didn't have much flavor)
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups assorted root vegetables, peeled (about 1 1/2 pounds) and shredded *
2 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (optional) I did add the bacon
Oil--I used sunflower seed oil 
Reduced-fat sour cream for garnish

* I used a large chiogga beet, a black radish and shredded carrots,  You could also use potatoes, turnips, parsnips, or whatever root vegetables you happen to have.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Whisk egg, flour, scallions, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir in vegetables and bacon (if using).
Brush a pancake griddle with oil. Place about 1/4 cup vegetable mixture on the griddle  and press with the back of a spatula to flatten into a 2- to 3-inch pancake. Cook until crispy and golden, 1 1/2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pancakes to the prepared baking sheet. Continue with 2 more batches, using the remaining oil and vegetable mixture. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream, if desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fresh Amaranth (Red Spinach)

Celery Root, Cracked Wheat, and Every-Fall-Vegetable-You-Can-Find-Chowder

Roasted Beets & Carrots with Couscous and Citrus Dressing